Interview questions to ask
Believe it or not when at interview and your asked if you have any questions for the interviewing team you most definitely should not say no!
This is an absolute crime, here is a chance for you to show that you really are interested in the job and the company. An interview is a 2 way street. This is your chance to assess the employer as much as they are assessing you. You need to be able to walk away convinced that this is the job for you.
You need to choose questions to ask. This shows that you have done your homework on the company!
List of 10 possible questions to ask:
- How did this role become available? You may pick up from this if people stay in jobs in the company or if there is a high turnover of staff.
- If I’m successful and get this role what is your long term plan for me? This shows you want the job and also shows you want to know if there will be other opportunities available.
- What will my job role entail? This will give you a full understanding of the job and what is expected of you. This will let you see if this job is really for you.
- Where do you see the company heading in the next 5-10 years? This shows that you are in this for the long haul. It shows that you are interested.
- What are the biggest challenges facing the company at the moment? You may have experienced some of these challenges in the past and be able to help the company.
- What are the company’s values? What characteristics do you look for in an employee in order to represent those values? This will give you more information on company culture. You’ll know what’s important for the company and what they expect of you.
- Will there be opportunities for personal development? You are looking for opportunities of growth. If there is nothing I would seriously reconsider this position!!
- How will I be successful in this role? How will you measure this success? You will see how the company measures success and if there are KPI’s or not.
- What do you most like about working for this company? This lets you find out about what’s good in this company. You will also pick up from the interviewer any positive or negative vibes!
- Is there anything else I can answer or help you with before I leave? This is a simple question to ask and its shows that every base has been covered.
In the words of W. Edwards Deming, “If you do not know how to ask the right question, you discover nothing.”
For any advice on interview questions you should ask contact Judith@employmint.co.uk.